So Many Cracks...
This poor old violin had seen better days. A past repairman
caused many micro cracks when the top was forcefully removed. The repair
that had been done, a center seam crack that was shimmed, has now failed...as
well as most of the micro cracks have now become full blown cracks.
We began by just taking things a part to see how much damage was
really there. The more we dug...the more we found. 14 cracks with a
total distance of 39.5 inches!!! Roughly 30 cleats, an eyebrow patch and a
sound post plate were needed to get the top back together. Also, the end
block was split in two. The break was clean, so we decided to re-glue it
rather than to replace it to help keep costs down.
In the end this is a great little violin that will make the
owners happy for years to come.
Click on thumbnails for larger photographs.
Please disable any pop-up-blockers.
Hover your mouse curser over pictures for text.